Book Giveaway details below, ends tonight Sunday, April 16: 12am ET, good luck!
If you crave real home cooked Chinese food, you can win Shanti Christensen’s book, “Family Style Chinese Cookbook: Authentic Recipes from My Culinary Journey Through China!” (see details below!) It’s a MUST. Shanti’s quest to learn authentic Chinese cooking led her into 40 families’ homes over a 3 year period and culminated in this treasure trove of family recipes. Her superb story telling makes us feel like an extended family, privy to secrets that have been passed down for generations.
You’ll learn about Chinese traditions, the importance of family and with meager ingredients, you can cook up feasts. Lamb Fried Rice Xinjiang Style (p.161) and Braised Pork Ribs in Aromatic Sauce (p.111), umm, not bad bedtime reading or to dream about.
Simple, no frills recipes. They won’t intimidate you or make you keel over with impossible-to-find ingredients like many Chinese cookbooks. My favorite part of the book? Reading Shanti’s endearing stories about the families gave me a sense of what life was like in China. I was born in China and left when only 9 months old.
You can experience more of Shanti’s China trip here.
And if you’re lucky enough to live in San Francisco,
she produces outrageous popup dinners serving dishes from all over Asia.
To celebrate this book giveaway, I chose Shanti’s Stewed Kale (p.156) because the day I wanted to experiment from her book, that’s all I had in the fridge. And I loved that because it reflects my whole philosophy of using what you have and make the best and tastiest dish you can!
Creating a sauce to put over veggies is a very efficient way of adding flavor
to a big batch of veggies and gives them a different texture and flavor.
As always, I couldn’t help being a Wok Star and put my personal spin on it…
1 lb. kale (ready washed and torn into pieces)
Grape seed oil
1 tsp Koon Chun brown bean sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp i.e. few dashes of sherry
1 tbsp i.e. few dashes of tamari
1/4 cup chicken broth
- Combine all sauce ingredients in bowl
- Heat cast iron wok till hot, add sauce and fry till fragrant
- Immediately add kale and cover with sauce. Add broth, tamari and sherry.
- Cook till kale is wilted, taste for doneness, if not enough sauce, add a little more broth and cook till tender.
This kale goes well with ANYTHING.
I’d love to hear about some of your favorite ways for preparing kale in the comments.
Ready for Book Giveaway? Keeping it simple, here you go:
1. Subscribe to my free newsletter in right sidebar —->
2. Follow Shanti Christensen on Instagram @showshanti
3. Follow Eleanor Hoh on Instagram @wokstar and leave comment on Book Giveaway post
4. Leave a comment below why you deserve to win Shanti’s cookbooks? Then email me eh at eleanorhoh dot com so I have your email if you win.
5. Eligibility: Only for United States residents. Closing date: Sunday, April 16 , 12 am ET. Check back here for winner announcements Monday, April 17.
6. A random winner will be picked and contacted via email. Respond ASAP, otherwise I will pick the next winner.
7. Your book will be sent directly to you, good luck everyone!
If you didn’t win, you can still buy Shanti’s cookbook here.
Want more ideas for vegetable dishes?…
How about more Kale recipes?