Wok Your Easter Egg Any Way You Want!

Pin It

When it comes to eggs and Easter, you can Wok Your Easter Egg Any Way You Want! You can never run out of ways to cook them and then there are infinite more ways to eat them on top of, with and inside something!

For this #LetsLunch Easter Chicken or the Egg theme, I was going to showcase my fritatta cooked in my wok and then baked in the oven but I couldn’t find the photos in my library which has filled over 6 hard drives and counting, but that’s another story.

I’m constantly asked how I get my fried egg yolks so bright colored, beautiful and intact. My answer is always about the pan or wok (cast iron is best) and the heat you cook it in (gas is best.) The trick is to let the egg cook till it naturally ‘releases’ from the wok and slides right out.  If you keep poking it or moving it, it will stick. Same technique with making omelets or for frying meat for that matter, again another story.

When frying in my wok, I can ‘park’ my egg on the side to keep warm, while I heat up leftover Pad Thai.

FRIED EGG:

For frying eggs, heat your cast iron wok or pan to medium heat, always start with a hot wok, otherwise your food gets greasy.  Add your oil which I put in a squeeze bottle to make it easy for pouring and squeeze around your wok so it drizzles down the sides and coats the sides so the egg doesn’t stick!  Crack your egg into the oil and push out the whites with your spatula. This way the whites cook quicker in a thin layer instead of bunched around the yolk. Just be patient and you’ll be rewarded with a bright colored yolk!  I like my fried egg sunny side up with slightly crispy edges. You don’t have to move it or do anything, yay.  Tea seed oil, canola oil, grape seed oil, safflower is good for high heat cooking.

OMELETS:

When making an omelet, crack your eggs (3-4) in a bowl, add chopped scallions, salt and pepper. I add cubes of cheese later once one side of the omelet has cooked.  I like to fry my fillings a little first (whether these are vegetables, Jerky Pork), park them on the side (see photos below.) Add oil, then pour in the egg mixture, swirl around wok to widen the surface area. Turn heat down a little so bottom doesn’t burn before you’ve had a chance to cook the eggs. That’s why using gas is so fantastic, it’s all about controlling the heat on a whim. Again, the bottom will release from the edge when you slide your spatula under the egg. When you flip over your omelet, there’ll be uncooked egg swirling, don’t panic, slide the cooked part up sides of the wok. You’ll get the hang of this with practice.  Let the eggs cook a little, add your fillings in especially small cubes of cheese before folding over the omelet.

I slather some sort of chili sauce around the yolk or on top of the omelet like Lingham’s chili sauce, it makes everything taste good.

Parking warmed Jerky Pork (Bak Kwa) on the side while cooking omelet in wok.

Parking my mini sweet peppers on the side and cooking omelet in wok. If you want cheese, now’s the time to add them in before you do the fold over.

Making banana pancakes in wok to eat with egg on top!

My husband and I use different techniques for frying egg, he uses a lot more oil so it cooks faster.

Here are many ways I’ve enjoyed my egg…

Veggie omelet;  double fried eggs;  egg in a parathawich.

Cheese omelet; Jerky Pork Cilantro omelet, Fried egg on banana pancake.

Egg on Flaky paratha; Goat cheese omelet; Quail eggs salad.

Egg with Pad Thai; Red Light River Restaurant’s Bacon, Spinach Salad with poached egg; Area 31′s poached egg on top of oyster mushrooms, faro, collard greens, mamey and smoked bread during Slow Food’s Snail Award Party recently.

In Asia, it’s quite common to add egg to noodle dishes as in Quai Teow with Pork Jerky. That could be a unique Easter dinner!

I prefer my eggs savory not the chocolate kind so much but I’m sure I’ll squeeze some in.

Happy Easter!

Do visit my #LetsLunch buddies posts below for their take on Chicken or the Egg theme this month. And if you’d like to join, go to Twitter and post a message with the hashtag #Letslunch — or, post a comment below.

– Charissa‘s Gluten-Free Leek, Ham & Pecorino Souffles at Zest Bakery

– Denise‘s Beet Dye & Pink Deviled Eggs at Chez Us

– Emma‘s Eggs In A Hole at Dreaming of Pots & Pans

– Felicia‘s Perfect Sandwich at Burnt-Out Baker

– Grace‘s Scrambled Eggs & Tomatoes at HapaMama

– Joe‘s Kim-Chi Deviled Eggs at Joe Yonan

– Karen‘s Molecular Gastronomy “Eggs” at GeoFooding

– Linda‘s Home-made Cadbury Eggs (Maple Chocolate Eggs) at Free Range Cookies

– Linda‘s Taiwanese Tomato Eggs at Spicebox Travels

– Lisa‘s Legendary Egg & Onion at Monday Morning Cooking Club

– Lucy‘s Old-Fashioned Boiled Dressing (& Chicken Salad) at A Cook And Her Books

– Nancie‘s Son-In-Law Eggs at Nancie McDermott

– Rashda‘s Bombay Toasts (Spicy French Toasts) at Hot Curries And Cold Beer

– Vivian‘s Oeuf Chaud Froid at Vivian Pei

You might also like:

13 Responses to Wok Your Easter Egg Any Way You Want!
  1. chocolate novelties
    August 30, 2014 | 4:27 am

I think this is among the most important information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things,
    The site style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D.
    Good job, cheers

2. Joe Yonan
    April 10, 2012 | 12:47 pm

Thanks for the instruction, Eleanor! Love my wok, and love eggs, and need to make more of the latter in the former…

• Eleanor Hoh
      April 10, 2012 | 1:33 pm

Thx for stopping in Joe. I challenge anyone who can think of a cooking vessel more enjoyable than a wok! I’m working on Hispanic wok cooking project that includes egg, can’t wait to share that.

3. charissa (zest bakery)
    April 10, 2012 | 1:56 am

Phooey! Now I need two things: a cast iron wok AND a gas stove. :)

I prefer my eggs on the savory side too. Thanks for the bevy of ideas!

• Eleanor Hoh
      April 10, 2012 | 1:30 pm

Ha, ha Charissa, everyone who has this setup LOVE it and won’t look back. Electric stoves kills stir frying and that’s why folks are so frustrated till they got this setup. It’s like an AHA moment.

4. Giora
    April 8, 2012 | 1:42 pm

Hi Eleanor. I came to yourblog via your comment on Susan’s blog. In my novel, Shui Ying and her girlfriend Xia are taking a free Wok cooing class in Shanghai, but here in your blog I see more examples and details. I don’t cook much, so more curious about what you are doing. Do you do these classes on in South Florida? As an actress, do you also sing? Thanks and best wishes from Canada.

• Eleanor Hoh
      April 10, 2012 | 1:28 pm

Hi Giora, it’s so wonderful to see you’re promoting wok cooking in your novel, yay! I have dreams of returning to China where I was born to teach wok cooking as it’s a lost art! Yes, I teach in South Florida and also produced instructional DVDs & audio cookalongs that come with my Wok Star Kit so folks can learn from anywhere in the world. Ha, ha, I don’t sing, why? I’ve been to Toronto and love the food and friendly people there. I’ll take a look at your blog soon. Thx for stopping by.

5. Nancie McDermott
    April 6, 2012 | 4:56 pm

This is dazzlingly wonderful. I learned so much! Parking it till it lets go, telling you it is ready? How beautiful and wonderful is that? Love it, and all your photos and the humor and beauty that flows out of my screen from your dozen-eggs. Where did you buy your cast-iron wok? I see mostly carbon steel, and I have a cast iron wok from Lodge but it looks like yours would be much lighter than mine.
    Love,
    Curious in Carolina

• Eleanor Hoh
      April 6, 2012 | 5:38 pm

Thanks Nancie, you’re too generous. I’m just going through reading all the LetsLunch posts & leaving comments. See response to Lucy below about cast iron woks. That’s a problem, it’s quite hard to find this particular wok, I sell them preseasoned but as a complete Kit. Most folks associate cast iron with heavy but once they use my lightweight one, they’re HOOKED!

• Nancie McDermott
        April 7, 2012 | 3:06 pm

Thanks, good to know that. You are a fountain of information and fun. Your website is delightful and inviting. I wish we were handy for cooking and eating and visiting and networking purposes. Sometime somewhere…

• Eleanor Hoh
          July 10, 2012 | 7:39 pm

I wish we could too, it’s kinda lonely doing this on my own. What can we do to make you visit Miami? Why don’t you come to the Book Fair in the fall?

6. Lucy
    April 6, 2012 | 3:47 pm

I’ve wondered about the color of egg cooked in my wok pan, too. Now I know I just need to upgrade to a cast iron pan. Your pictures are gorgeous!

• Eleanor Hoh
      April 6, 2012 | 5:32 pm

Lucy, thx for support. A lightweight, thin walled cast iron wok is more versatile than a pan. You can do so much in them! Paella, many Hispanic dishes. You can go from stove to oven too. The shape of the wok prevents food falling out, limitless benefits. Do you have a gas stove? These 2 components are KEY! You’re such an adventurous cook, you’d love a wok.